Monday, November 7, 2016

Bloodchild

Bloodchild was confusing at first because I had no clue what was going on. However, the world they live in is slowly revealed as the story progresses, so it became easier to understand and more interesting. This writing technique can be very interesting but in a story as outrageous as this, I could have used a few more clues in the beginning. I was so lost that I was not connecting to the story at all, and if it had not been assigned I would have given up. The part of the story that finally hooked me in was Gan watching T’Gatoi cutting open Lomas during the birthing. It was very descriptive, disturbing, and emotionally scarring needless to say I loved it.

I surprisingly was able to find an emotional connection to main character. During Gan’s confrontation with his older brother, the story establishes a theme of loss of innocence. Gan slowly realizes that Tlic may have darker motivations, and that T’Gatoi might have been lying to him his entire life. I grew up in the Catholic Church, and when I was a little older I started doubting my faith. I can connect to the emotional weight of realizing that your whole life is a lie. I may never had to host parasites in my flesh but it’s the same fundamental idea, probably.

I think this story would make an incredible stop motion film. Similar to Tim Burton’s art style but darker and gorier. The story’s length could lend itself to about a 30 minute long short film. Since there is not much of a market for films of that length, it would needed to be either extended to feature length or shortened to about 10 minutes. To solve this I would probably start the film in media res: the moment before Gan watches T’Gatoi operate on Lamos.



No comments:

Post a Comment